Step-by-Step: How to Create a Free Product in MemberVault
One of the most powerful ways to use your MemberVault account is to use a Freebie Product to get users "in the door". They'll opt in with their name/email and will get an immediate MemberVault account and instant access.
Once they're logged in, they can Binge and Buy all of your products, and you can track engagement. This is the quickest way to get your Free Opt-In up and running!
1. Go to Products and click on "Add Product"
2. Add in your Product details
- Status - Active means its visible to your users when you have selected a Sign Up Option (details below), Inactive keeps it hidden from your users. Most people just leave this to active.
- Type - Most freebies are set to regular, however if you need users to go through in order (progressive), or you're doing a timed challenge (drip) then choose that.
- Title - Title of the Product
- Image - Cover image for the product
- Description - Information on what this product is
- Welcome Message - A message you want to display to anyone who OWNS the product.
- EP needed to unlock - Part of the gamification features. Leave blank for now.
3. Add at least one module
Think of modules as just containers for your lessons. If you only have a few lessons or just offering a download, just create one module to hold your lesson(s).
- Type - Module will be viewable by only people who own the product. Teaser Module will be viewable by people who don't own the product (provided the product has a sign up type) . Bonus Module will be viewable by users who have earned a certain amount of EP in that product (more on gamification later)
- Title - Title of the module
- Image - Cover image for the module
- Short Description - This will be the text that shows up when viewing the product and seeing the list of modules
- Description - This will be the text that shows up when a user has clicked INTO the module.
4. Add at least one lesson
All engagement and tracking is done at the Lesson level, so it's important that all of your important content is contained in a lesson. If this is a simple product that doesn't have "modules and lessons", simply just add ONE lesson and give it the same title as the module title. MemberVault will then automatically open this lesson when someone clicks into the module (saving your user a click).
Strategy wise, it's best to break up your content into as many lessons as you can. Not only is this better for your users to learn, but it also allows you to see which content is the most popular.
- Title - Title of lesson
- Video Type - If the main part of your lesson is video, you can choose your video type here. We natively support YouTube and Vimeo, but also allow you to embed whatever video code you have.
- Video ID - If you are using YouTube or Vimeo, supply just the ID of the video (not the entire URL). You'll see a successful preview when the correct ID is in there.
- Lesson Text - This is the main content area of the lesson. You can embed anything you want here, use text styling, upload images, and even embed video players and audio.
- Lesson Activity / Homework - Is there an actionable item your users can do after the lesson? If not, just leave blank.
5. Add Files and Questions (optional)
After you add your lesson, you are given the option to add downloadable files to this lesson, and add quiz questions.
- Lesson Files - If you have documents or files that go with your lesson, simply name them and upload them here. There is NO limit on size or number of uploads
- Quiz Questions - One of the best ways to boost engagement, and start developing a relationship with your users is to use quiz questions. You can add Essay (open ended) questions or Multiple Choice questions. Lessons cannot be marked complete until these quiz questions are filled out, and multiple choice questions have been answered correctly. Most people use this to ask open ended questions to their users, but when multiple choice questions are paired with a progressive product type, you can have a legit course with testing.
6. Preview your product
Once all of your modules/lessons are in, click "Products" on the left hand menu to get back to the main list. Click on the gear icon. In the pop up screen you'll click on the "Preview Product" button. This will open up a new window and allow you to go through the user experience as if you owned the product.
7. Select a Sign Up Type
Now that your product looks great, click "Edit" on the product and find "Sign Up Options". By default this is set to None meaning that people who do not own this yet, won't be able to see it or sign up for it. The EASIEST way to handle this for a freebie is to select "Form". This will allow people to supply their name and email and get instant access to your product. If you have your own landing page you want to direct them to, select "Link".
- Button Text - What you want the actual button to sign up says
- Teaser Message - Users will see the product description in the main area, but if they click into the product to learn more (and don't own it yet), they will see this message. Use this to tell them more and entice them to sign up. Users who own this product will NOT see this.
8. Get the word out!
Congratulations! Your freebie is ready to give out and have people sign up for. You can grab the direct link to this product by going back to the "Products" page, clicking on the gear, and copying the "Publicly viewable link". If you are using the "Form" or "Paid" sign up option, you can also get the link to get directly to the form.
If you have multiple products, you might want to send them to browse and sign up/buy ALL of your products. To get that url, simply log out, and click on the "View Teaser Content" button on the Login Page. It will be your account URL + "/teaser". (ex. https://mvcoach.vipmembervault.com/teaser)
If you want to show it off, please do share it in our Facebook Collaborative Group
Still confused? Something not working? Can we make this better?
Please reach out and let us know! When logged into your account, click on the chat icon, ask your question in our Facebook Collaborative Group, or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org