How to Create a File Library & Share Files Across Your Products
Depending on your business and product offerings, you may find yourself sharing the same files with your users in numerous products. Uploading these files over & over - especially, when you need to make changes - can become quite tedious.
As a workaround for this, we suggest creating a "File Library" product. This is an inactive product that is only used by the Admin (ie. you) and never shared directly with your users.
Create Your File Library Product
- Start a new product and make it 'Inactive'.
- Determine the 'categories' of files you want to store in your File Library and create modules for each of those categories.
Here's an example of some categories/modules that might work well for you:
- Add at least one lesson to each module (files are uploaded at the lesson level).
- Upload the files you'd like to store in your File Library in the appropriate modules.
Tada! 🎉 You now have a File Library in place.
*Note* - if you are planning to add video files to your File Library, please reference this article first.
How to Share Your Files in Other Products
- Open your File Library product and locate the file you wish to share in another product in your account.
- Right-click on the file's source link and select 'Copy Link Address'.
- Now that you have the file's source link copied, head on over to your other product and locate the area & text where you want to link your file.
- Select the text you want to link to your file and use the 'insert/edit link' to add the hyperlink reference.
Congrats! 🎉 You've now linked your file from the File Library to text in a different lesson without having to re-upload your file.
How to Edit Files Across Your Products When Using a File Library
It's very likely that, at some point, you'll need to upload a revised version of one of your files in your File Library. Don't worry, when that time comes - there's no need to panic. You can manage this revision directly in your File Library without having to revise all of the file links you have throughout your account.
- Open your file library and locate the file that needs to be replaced with a revised version.
- Click the 'Edit' option to the right of the file in the Lesson Files area.
- When uploading the revised file, make sure it is named exactly the same as the current file - minus the numeric reference that MV adds to the front of the file's name (this is an ID # given to each uploaded file which references the specific lesson where the file lives).
- When you save the new file, it will appear to be unchanged in your Lesson File area but when you click on the file link, it will open the revised version of the file.
- Test the file link in one of the products where you've linked the original file to be certain all is well. If you've named the file the same as the original, the file link within another product will open the revised version. 😎